- Recently, Business Insider embarked on a mission to different shops and cafes in Manhattan to find the best places to do work without a WeWork membership.
- Starbucks took the top spot, followed closely by a surprising upstart: Au Bon Pain.
- In fact, there’s a secret Au Bon Pain nestled in an unexpected corner of Manhattan. Located in a nondescript office building steps from Radio City Music Hall and Rockefeller Center, this Au Bon Pain was quiet, spacious, and well-stocked — something difficult to find in Manhattan.
- If you’re a remote worker looking for a centrally located spot in Manhattan to get things done, look no further.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
With WeWork unsteady, remote work on the rise, and New York City still absurdly expensive (and crowded), New Yorkers and visitors trying to get work done outside of the office face a difficult dilemma. I experienced this firsthand when I embarked upon a quest to determine which coffee shops are best to do work in.
Unsurprisingly, most were cramped and loud. On top of the many New Yorkers yelling into their phones, most also blasted playlists. I could barely hear myself think, and the lack of outlets left my phone battery dangerously low.
But there’s an affordable and quiet respite hiding in the wilds of Midtown. Easily accessible by subway — and by foot, if you’re enjoying Madison Square Park or Bryant Park — with a delightfully ambient soundtrack, this may just become my new go-to spot in Manhattan.
Welcome to the Au Bon Pain at 1251 6th Avenue.