- Many veterans worry about finding work after leaving the service and entering the civilian workforce.
- Navy Federal and Hire Heroes USA, two organizations that empower veterans to find sustainable jobs and secure good financial futures, teamed up to release a list of the best jobs for veterans.
- They consulted with veterans nationwide to find out what mattered most to them in a job and compiled a list of career paths that aligned with those values.
- The best jobs for veterans range from retail to the medical field and can pay as much as $68,116 per year.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Reentering the workforce after serving in the military can be a tough transition for former service members and their families.
Navy Federal reports that more than 250,000 military service members transition into the workforce each year. One of the greatest anxieties for veterans is being able to find stable, well-paying work that honors the skills and experiences they’ve gained while serving in the military.
Christopher Plamp, the CEO of Hire Heroes USA, spoke to Business Insider about how his own experiences looking for work after spending 26 years in the Air Force inspired him to begin working at the organization.
“When service members leave the military, they may have a gap in their skills or might have never even had a civilian job before,” he told Business Insider. “They might have never made a resumé, done a behavioral interview, or made a LinkedIn profile before. Hire Heroes helps them through this process, as well as connecting veterans and military spouses with companies that want to hire retired service members and their families.”
Business Insider also spoke with Clay Stackhouse, the member outreach manager of Navy Federal and a Marine Corps colonel who retired after serving for 25 years.
“The most important thing for me that I’ve learned since retiring from the Marine Corps is that everyone transitions out differently. Every time I meet with veterans who worry about transitioning out, they have their own set of concerns when it comes to finding the right job for them,” he said. “With 8 million veteran and military family members, Navy Federal really makes it our mission to help these people and give them the right resources.”
Navy Federal and Hire Heroes USA teamed up to use their years of expertise to create a list of the 10 best careers for veterans. Navy Federal asked veterans nationwide what they value most in a civilian career, whether it be location, compensation, flexible hours, or working at a mission-driven organization.
We also consulted ZipRecruiter to include the average annual salaries and open roles for each industry.
Here are the 10 best career paths for veterans.